Wednesday, August 14, 2013

A successful PowerPoint presentation

PowerPoints often get bad raps, especially those associated with orientation-type activities. While I am very excited that this week has been very interactive and non-traditional, I did want to give credit to a very well-done presentation today -- a presentation that included a PowerPoint.

I loved that the counseling presentation consisted of a series of scenarios. They really led to meaningful discussion and allowed everyone to ask important questions. Personally, I've sat through many presentations about confidentiality and the mandate to report suspected abuse. When faced with actual situations, however, like overhearing students discussing a party or a student being too familiar with a teacher, I felt completely unprepared and directionless for how to deal with them. It was so beneficial to get to consider those real-life scenarios, bounce ideas off of one another, and get the perspective of a counselor.

1 comment:

  1. I know what you mean, Maureen. I remember the scenarios from my orientation (they've changed!) and how I wondered what to do...and how having discussed them in a "what if" environment made them less scary to deal with when they really happened.

    ReplyDelete