Monday, August 12, 2013

So many firsts

Even though I've experienced many teacher prep weeks, today brought many firsts. Here is a sampling:
- Using twitter
- Scanning a QRcode
- Having a relaxed, small group lunch with an administrator
- Feeling like the majority of an orientation day was focused on answering questions, inviting new ideas, and having the opportunity to obtain useful information. My usual orientation experiences have centered more around being talked to and watching PowerPoint presentations.
- Having access to a class schedule and roster weeks before classes begin

All of these "firsts" have reinforced my enthusiasm for working at Flint Hill and my belief that teaching at Flint Hill will be very different than ones I've previously had. While all of this is very exciting and I've enjoyed spending time with everyone today, I also now have this urge to make some coffee, crawl into a personal space, and spend time independently exploring all of the new things to which I've been exposed. I foresee my evening being one full of reading through the Flint Hill faculty portal, personalizing my new email, and setting up my new computer.

4 comments:

  1. Maureen,

    We are SO glad you felt like today was a different kind of orientation--that was our goal. I am with you about the personal space hibernation--I always need that to process, digest, reflect, and then do. Thank you for your thoughtful reflection.

    Joey

    ReplyDelete
  2. So great to hear that your FHS experience has been unique. We worked really hard to make it different and hope to provide the same for our students. Welcome to FHS and I look forward to working with you this year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoy the down time tonight and having fun with the computer. So glad you liked the flipped model for orientation. There are lots more activities to come to explore FHS. Glad to have you on the journey.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I completely understand the want to dig in and process on your own. Whenever I need to crawl into a personal space at work I go into a room in one of the cubes and tell people I'm in "study hall".

    So glad you had a great first day and that the orientation so far has been a positive experience! We're really happy to have you here.

    ReplyDelete