Wednesday, August 14, 2013

I'm going to teach math!

If only it were that easy...  The biggest thing I want to teach and promote this year is how to think and how to work in groups.  To do this well, I'm going to start from day 1 and model how students should work with others and that there are often many different ways to think or solve a problem.  I also really want to promote a curiosity for math.  So often it just becomes a topic that students HAVE to teach rather than one that they want to learn.  I want my students to not only want to come to class because it is a safe (and fun) space/time but also because they are curious and excited to expand their understanding of math.  I <3 Math!

3 comments:

  1. Love your philosophy! Thinking and working in groups is something Rachel really worked on too in the past few years (as I'm sure you know). A noble challenge and one I'm sure you'll conquer this year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Courtney, I'm am also very interested in taking group work to the next level. I'd love to know what you think the best strategies are. I have a few ideas to share, but I've never been happy with my approach to group work, and I think it has the potential to be really powerful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some food for thought...I was reading a blog post about preparing students for a changing job landscape. One of the suggestions given by Tony Wagner was to have students work in teams, not groups. You can read more about here...http://teacherswithapps.com/blog-educating-innovators-25-ways-to-prepare-students-for-a-changing-job-landscape/

    ReplyDelete