Wednesday, August 14, 2013

The "What" and "How"

Ah, the "what" and "how" of teaching.  I'm teaching the new sophomore English curriculum and a film elective.  One class is (obviously) a new venture for the English department, and film is quite new to me.  Yet, the uncertainty feels more exciting than daunting.  It's quite energizing to have more autonomy in constructing my classes than I've ever experienced before, and I just loved how comfortable I felt asking questions about everything from exam formats (The answer is projects!) to grammar teaching practices.

In other words, I'm still figuring out both the "what" and "how" of my teaching, but I'm off to a great start with my new classes.

3 comments:

  1. We do love projects around here! Independent projects, group projects, authentic learning experiences, cross-disciplinary projects, all soooo great.

    I'm glad that the uncertainty is exciting! It should be, and I'm sure your class will be great. I always think teachers do their best work when they're given the most freedom, and you've got lots of room to play in this class!

    Continue to ask all sorts of questions - we're here to help!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Meg! I'd love to know more about your film class. Sounds awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me too! CAn I sit in on some of your lessons in your film class? Willing to help too. :)

    ReplyDelete