Thursday, August 15, 2013

Design Thinking

I absolutely loved how design thinking first allows students to brainstorm on their own and THEN within the group.   I also appreciated its emphasis on "quantity" over "quality" as this format allowed me to write down ideas I might have otherwise filtered.  And while I don't think these ideas were brilliant by any stretch, I really appreciated the way design thinking fosters creativity.  One quick thought on implementing this in my classroom might be to ask my students how we could promote poetry in the Upper School.  (National Poetry Month, anyone?) 

1 comment:

  1. Love the idea of using design thinking for creating a plan to promote poetry month!

    I, too, love the "brainstorm by yourself, then together" model. I always feel like my ideas get anchored by those of others when brainstorming together and I can usually do my most creative work if I'm given some time to think on my own first. Another great strategy is to have a group start brainstorming together, then call a 2-minute stop-and-write to get out any thoughts that are bubbling up that are hard to throw in the conversation (either because they're crazy ideas or because the individual is not comfortable interrupting the group if brainstorming is going really quickly)

    ReplyDelete